Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday Reflection (Triduum 1/3)

My God, what happened? I cry out to you from the deepest recesses of my soul. My heart and my mind are lost in a fierce sea of confusion and despair. Where are you, my God? I need to know that you hear me - even in the midst of this chaos. I no longer feel the ground beneath my feet, nor do I see the sky above me. Yeshua was my ground, my sky, my all.

What can be done when a blossom has been snapped from the branch before it fully opens? Can the breaking be undone? What happens to the hope and awe it inspired? Is it not like bread that is never baked, or a marriage that is not consummated?

If only you had merely turned your back to us. Then, I would spend the remainder of my days begging for your mercy and forgiveness. From sunrise to sunset, I would sing your praises. Now, there is no song within me - not even for tonight's Sabbath. There is only an abyss of sorrow. It is an abyss as cold and dark as the tomb in which we placed him.

The Teacher had spoken of his death, but certainly he did not mean in this manner. What is more degrading than this? I have known others who have been crucified, but this one is beyond my weak ability to grasp. Of what was there to convict Yeshua? Has honoring your Law become a cause for execution?

--A follower of Yeshua

No comments: