Saturday, April 4, 2015

But Then Comes the Morning

As a child, my family attended the 8:00 am Sunday Mass at Saint Columba Catholic Church. Going to the early liturgy, proved to be a greater challenge on the First Sunday of Easter after having attended Holy Saturday's Vigil Mass. Yet, one of my favorite Easter memories is of a solo performed by the parish cantor. 

The years have blurred my memory of her name - possibly Carol Bogolin - yet I can still her here clearly and powerfully singing part of the refrain: "
But then comes the morning, yesterdays sorrows behind. W
ake it's the day of your longing. Life returns, mercy comes, it's morning." 
 

Sadly, I have not heard the song since my childhood. After several unsuccessful online searches, I discovered the title, lyrics and writer of what for me resonates with the wonder of Easter.


But Then Comes the Morning
by Jack Miffleton

Look at him stripped on the hill 
running the streets poorly clad 
robots have taken his job 
his hands are outstretched for the nails 

REFRAIN: Forgive Lord, forgive.
It was night when we did what we did.... 
But then comes the morning.
Yesterdays sorrows behind. 
Wake it's the day of your longing.
Life returns, mercy comes, it's morning. 

Look at him nailed to the cross. 
Nailed by our lack of concern 
Locked and forgotten in jail 
Confined to a home for the aged.  

Look at him die on the cross. 
Witness man's cruelty to man 
Cut down like weeds in our wars 
Stabbed on the streets where we live. 

The night watch is set at the tomb. 
He's buried, not dead but alive. 
As long as you did it to these 
you also have done it to me. 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi:

I love that song and have looked on youtube to see if it's available. I even looked it up by the name you provided to no avail.

Do you have an audio/video recording of this?

Blessings,

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this song. I too have such strong memories of singing this at church. The words still resonate today. So happy to have found this.

Cathy said...

Hi ,
My Dad just passed last month and the song that came to my mind was this song which we used to sing at our catholic church when I was growing up. Thanks for sharing the lyrics. If you have any other information on it, please let us know. thank you.

Unknown said...

I miss and cherish this song as well from my Catholic grade svhool years. I wish it woyld be put on youtube. Thank you.

Unknown said...

hello everyone, in case anybody is still looking for the song "then comes the morning" i found it in song form by finding the album it was recorded on 'with skins and steel" i actually got to listen to it on youtube. it is the 10th track on the album. i also found a video of 3 songs from that album of which "then comes the morning" was one. i hope this helps anyone who is still searching.

Thelma said...

Bless you. Like you I have been searching for this song for years, hoping to find it on Youtube but haven't been able to.
I discovered it at a Catholic retreat I attended where they had cassettes selling with songs which included this one. I don't know what became of that cassette through the decades but every now and again that beautiful song comes to mind. Thank you so much for sharing the lyrics. Now, I continue my search for the melodies and music that were such tremendous blessings to my heart.
God bless you.
Thelma Porter

Thelma said...

Wow! Thank you so much. Bless your heart. I will run and search now.

Thelma said...

A verse missing from this song that you have posted here and which is on the YouTube is as foll:
Look in His mother’s eyes
Tears for the Child in her arms
A few spoons of beans for the day
Rats crawl through holes in the walls

Anonymous said...

The composer was Jack Miffleton and there is an audio search under that name and "But then Comes the Morning". There is more info at vatican.com